Saturday, January 21, 2012

#2 Plum Jam

I like the word plum and I like plums.  So I was thinking of doing a plum chutney but I was feeling a little spiced out.  One thing I am really starting to learn is to can what is in season, right now it's citrus so my next can jam will include some citrus:-)






Ingredients:
3 pints or 6 half pints

16 plums chopped into 1/2 inch cubes (about 6 cups)

3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup sugar

1 package of pectin

Combine chopped plums, lemon juice, and pectin into 5 quart pot.  Cook over medium heat until the plums start to sweat and get all juicy.  Once softened add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.  Once boiling dump the sugar and honey in. Give it a good stir and then let jam reduce to thick consistency.  Take sterilized jars and fill with hot jam and process for at least 10 mins (if at sea level).

No comments:

Post a Comment