Saturday, January 21, 2012

#2 Plum Jam

I like the word plum and I like plums.  So I was thinking of doing a plum chutney but I was feeling a little spiced out.  One thing I am really starting to learn is to can what is in season, right now it's citrus so my next can jam will include some citrus:-)






Ingredients:
3 pints or 6 half pints

16 plums chopped into 1/2 inch cubes (about 6 cups)

3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup sugar

1 package of pectin

Combine chopped plums, lemon juice, and pectin into 5 quart pot.  Cook over medium heat until the plums start to sweat and get all juicy.  Once softened add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.  Once boiling dump the sugar and honey in. Give it a good stir and then let jam reduce to thick consistency.  Take sterilized jars and fill with hot jam and process for at least 10 mins (if at sea level).