Tuesday, January 24, 2012

# 3 Meyer Lemon Honey Jelly

Meyer Lemons are the new cool kids in the produce section. Meyer Lemon this, Meyer Lemon that, blah, blah, blah. At first I resisted, but it's like that cool girl who is so gosh darn sweet that you can't help wanting to be friends with her (like me, hah!).

They are different from all other lemons in that they are a little more sweet and smaller. So I decided to try em in a nice smooth jelly.  This is kind of my first try at a jelly and it was purty easy since I didn't have to strain anything.

Here is the lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, and sugar all in a hot little pot. Then I boiled this sucker and dumped in 3 ounces of pectin.  I let her boil for a little while longer till nice and thick.  Got my new kilner jar ready and ladled this sweet concoction in.  Interesting tid-bit here; when I dipped to cool ladle into the hot jelly it kinda stuck on the ladle and made a congealed chunk.

Ta-da!  Okay, my neighbors might think I'm a weirdo cause I'm always taking pictures of preserves on my windowsill but it's because I like when they have a little light from behind.  It just looks so gosh darn purty.  Well here is the recipe!

Ingredients:
12 Meyer Lemons or 2/3 a cup of Meyer Lemon juice

1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups honey
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 3-ounce package liquid pectin


Instructions:
Juice and zest lemons.  Combine juice, zest, honey, sugar, and water in a large pot.  Bring to a boil and stir frequently.  While boiling add in the pectin and combine.  Once you have reached 220 degrees remove the pot and ladle into sanitized jars.  Process according to elevation approx: 10+ minutes. Good for you, you made some jelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment