Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#7 This S*** is Bananas!


So Newport was quite delightful although overcast. We learned about all sorts of mushy marriage stuff.  On Saturday we made our way with a few friends down to the Newport Old Stone Mill.   I've been curious about this mill ever since I read about it in a history book.  Supposedly they thought vikings had built it and that it was proof that the vikings inhabited America before Columbus and his peeps. One of the downfalls was there were no plaques/information about the mill nearby so a friend recited wikipedia's  blub in his best tour guide voice.

Next we headed to Bruskers Irish Pub, a small place with a good beer selection and quite possibly the friggin best Reuben I've ever had.  The Corned Beef was sooo thick and juicy. I indulged in Magners Cider, I love how cider tastes like the champagne of beers, so fizzy and light!

One of the coolest places we went was the Newport Brewery.  They are known for the Newport Storm Beers, we decided to do a taste test and walk around a bit.  I liked their Blueberry Beer and the other light one...I just can't handle the ale's they make me feel super full and bogged down. We got to see where they ferment the beers and bottle em, very neato.


Enough about me, let's talk about the Jam this week!
I'm going Ape for Banana's and I am hoping to use it in a much larger treat for my hubby (I'm supposed to do nice things for him now).  Remember to follow directions closely because banana's are relatively low in acid.

Alls you need:
Adapted from Learn to Preserve

10 Bananas medium sized ripe
4 cups of pineapple diced or chunked (or 2 20oz cans)
1/2 cup of coconut
5 cups of sugar
3 fresh lemons juiced
6-7 pints of jars


First you are going to slice up those bananas to make it easier to mush em up while cooking.  Then add all ingredients into a big mofo pot.  Stir well until everything comes to a boil.  Once boiling reduced to a simmer and start mashing everything up with a potato masher or big spoon.


 Now remove your sterilized jars from the canning pot and ladle in the deliciousness called monkey butter.  Process in a boiling water bath for 15 min or according to your elevation.


The verdict: outstanding!  The bananas give a nice creamy consistency once mashed up and I love the bit of coconut.  A very tropical summery jam!  I can't wait to put this on oatmeal/pancakes/smoothies/ice cream/peanut butter sammies, woohoo!


I had to put it next to my tin toy monkey.  I have a small collection going of tin toys, they have a super interesting history!  Okay, now you know I'm a dork if you couldn't tell already.

5 comments:

  1. Shredded Coconut like outta the bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I got mine right outta a bag. It smelled soooo good! I suppose if you had the time you could shred your own:-)

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmm sooo tropical! Love love loveee! This is bananas! (have the song stuck in my head now) haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy! I came across it on an FB thread, thanks for posting your blog link :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is soooo good! It's kinda rainy here and I am totally thinking of making some oatmeal and mixing this in:-) You should try it!

      Delete